Proxima Nova (2005) bridges the gap between typefaces like Futura and Akzidenz Grotesk. The result is a hybrid that combines modern proportions with a geometric appearance. I originally released it in 1994 as Proxima Sans (now discontinued) with a basic character set in three weights (Regular, Medium, and Black) with italics. I expanded the original six fonts into a full-featured and versatile family of 42 fonts (seven weights in three widths with italics).
I’ve continually updated and expanded Proxima Nova since 2005, more than doubling the character set from 700 in its initial release to 1453 characters in the latest version. Additions have included support for Greek, Cyrillic, and Vietnamese, numerous currency symbols, as well as a Medium weight for all three widths and italics, bringing the total number of fonts in the family to 48.
Since the mid-2010s, Proxima Nova has become the most popular commercial (paid) font on the web, used on thousands of websites around the world.
Proxima Nova is also available separately as a variable font called Proxima Vara.
Weights & Styles
- 8 weights: Thin, Light, Regular, Medium, Semibold, Bold, Extrabold, and Black.
- 3 widths: Normal, Condensed, and Extra Condensed.
- Matching italics for all weights and widths.
- Matching small caps for all weights and widths.*
- Case-sensitive forms for all-caps settings.*
- Lining and old style figures (proportional and tabular).*
- Full “f” ligature set (ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, etc.).*
- Alternate characters (a, l, y, G, slashed zero, and seriffed 1).*
- Automatic arbitrary fractions.*
- Automatic ordinals.*
- Dingbats (16).
- Extended language support for most Latin-based Western and Central European languages and Vietnamese, as well as Greek and Cyrillic. Also includes the capital German sharp S.
- Extended currency support.
* Requires an application or operating system with support for OpenType advanced typography, such as Adobe Creative Cloud, Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher, or QuarkXPress. Check your application’s user guide. OpenType advanced typography is also supported by most modern web browsers through the use of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
Proxima Nova Overview. The story of Proxima Nova, basic style showings, full character set and technical information. 12 pages. 566 KB PDF.
Proxima Nova Specimen. Complete text and display specimen for the regular width styles of Proxima Nova, including the full character sets. 42 pages. 1 MB PDF.
Proxima Nova Condensed Specimen. Complete text and display specimen for Proxima Nova Condensed, including the full character sets. 42 pages. 1 MB PDF.
Proxima Nova Extra Condensed Specimen. Complete text and display specimen for Proxima Nova Extra Condensed, including the full character sets. 42 pages. 1 MB PDF.
First Public Use of What Became Proxima Nova
A post on my blog in which I talk about how I used an early version of Proxima Nova for the package design I did for “Star Wars: The Original Radio Drama” in 1993.
Proxima Nova Pre-Announcement
Sneak preview of Proxima Nova a few months in March 2005, a few months before release.
Proxima Nova Introduced
My announcement of the initial release of Proxima Nova on my blog, June 30, 2005.
Proxima Nova on “Fonts In Use”
“Fonts In Use” is a collaborative website where interesting or notable examples of fonts in use are shared.