Filmotype Glenlake (2007, for Filmotype) is a classic American gothic originally designed and released in 1955. Filmotype Gem is part of a range of compact sans serif fonts whose names begin with the letter “G” (a Filmotype convention). Glenlake is unique in that series, having a very rectangular look. To my eye, it looks like a forerunner to faces like Compacta, but with its own unique characteristics, such as the prominent whiplash spine on the S, Futura-like construction, and a subtle hand-lettered feel.
Weights & Styles
- Alternate characters.*
- Three stylistic sets.*
- Case-sensitive forms.*
- Alternate superscripted dollar and cent signs.*
- Automatic arbitrary fractions.*
- Superscript and subscript figures.
- Extended language support for most Latin-based Western and Central European languages.
* Requires an application with support for OpenType advanced typography, such as Adobe Creative Suite and QuarkXPress. Check your application’s user guide.
Filmotype Glenlake includes alternate characters, case-sensitive characters, automatic fractions and ordinals (fancy formatting for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.), superior and inferior figures, and extended language support.
The Development of Filmotype Glenlake
An article I wrote on my blog about the process of developing Filmotype Glenlake.